Sunday 6 December 2009

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Sok Sabai,

After two sleepless nights in Bangkok I got on a plane to Cambodia. Siem Reap is a town that has built up around the temples of Angkor, from the old Khmer empire. I'm staying at a very nice guesthouse (the European), and have my own driver to take me around to places in his tuk-tuk. So far I've been on a boat on the floating market and seen some of the temple sites. So far, so chilled. There is a lot of poverty here, at every stop there are children trying to sell you water, postcards and various tat. I bought a hat of one of them, within five minutes the band around the top came off. Well, you get what you pay for. I'm here for another two nights then I'm planning on heading East to the capital, Phnom Penh. Weirdest thing I've seen is the crocodile farm at the back of the guesthouse. Whoever owns the building behind here has two swimming pools and about 30 big crocodiles lounging about, apparently bred for food. No, I haven't tried any croc burgers yet...

Unfortunately the net is too slow here to upload any images so you'll have to wait until next time.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment