Friday 19 November 2010

Tibetan food

Hello. I was going to write loads about Mccleod Ganj but I've ended up reading about Buddhism for nearly an hour. So I'll just write a little about the Tibetan food that you can get here.

The most popular dish is momos, which are like Chinese dumplings. They are usually steamed, sometimes fried, and can be found with both veg and non-veg fillings. The veg is usually potato, tofu, mushroom or cheese. I had a soup before which was ok, but I think they are best eaten fresh. Many Tibetan ladies sell them one the street here, four for 10 rupees with a little chilli sauce on the side (71 rupees = 1 pound).

The other dishes are largely noodle soups or stir-fried noodles (chow mein). There's chitse (flat noodles), gyathuk (the usual thin noodles), and thenthuk (my favourite, fat square noodles). The broth is usually very tasty, with some veg like spinach and carrot and some times with optional egg or tofu. Its great being able to try all this food, as its predominantly vegetarian, unlike in Vietnam and other Asian countries where I usually spent hours walking around trying to find somewhere that did veggie stuff other than fried rice.

One thing I haven't had yet is tsampa, which I thought was a very popular Tibetan food (roasted barley used to make porridge or eaten in various other ways), maybe they don't think the Westerners would like it!

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment