Saturday 13 November 2010

Vipassana

Today I'm in McCleod Ganj, in the north of India. I've just finished a rather intense meditation course, 10 days of no talking, no eye contact and 10 hours of meditation and instruction in the Vipassana style. It has had a very strong effect on me and now I'm back in the "real" world I'm trying to keep up the daily meditations and general attitude of being aware and equanimous.

I've been here nearly a month and I still don't want to go, definitely the best place I've visited so far in India.

Any other pertinent information? I haven't drank alcohol now for over a month which is the longest period of abstentation since I finished uni (ten years ago now). I haven't missed it at all, India is a great place to be teetotal (well, apart from Goa). I also quit the smokes when I arrived in this town, again, I haven't missed them, in fact its great to be without that constant feeling of self-disgust. I've been travelling now for nearly a year but it seems like just in the last few weeks I'm being transformed, hopefully into a better person.

Don't worry though, I'm not going to come back wearing all-white robes and calling myself the Enlightened One.

Remember, there is no spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment